Sheds Make Awesome Playhouses
by Dakota Storage Buildings, on April 19, 2016
Sheds Make Awesome Playhouses
What child doesn't want a playhouse in their backyard? Most children love playing outside and having a space they can call their own. While many have a bedroom, a playroom or playhouse provides yet another creative space to encourage play and imagination.
Our Ranch style sheds make great playhouses for 5 reasons:
- With a 5/12 pitch roof line, they blend in perfectly within any residential neighborhood.
- They are durable and sturdy, equipped with advanced-grade and high-performance components.
- You can buy one already built or have one customized. Plus, there are a variety of upgrade options available.
- If there are space restrictions in your yard, they can be built on-site.
- As your child grows and his/her needs change, so can the use of the shed.
Here are a few steps to help you through the process of selecting, buying, and decorating a shed playhouse.
Step 1: Think about shed type and size.
The Ranch style Shed is available in 3 siding types: painted (wood), vinyl, and lap. Select the one that best suits your needs and price point.
While it's up to you how large or small you want this playhouse to be, typically smaller sizes are ideal. We suggest either 8×10 ft. or 8×12 ft.
Step 2: Get a quote.
Our online quote form will walk you through the shed selection process step-by-step. You will be able to choose how many windows you want, the color of the exterior, whether or not you want add-ons like flower boxes or shutter, etc.
When you're finished, a helpful customer service representative will contact you with the price and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Step 3: Secure a building permit and lay the foundation.
Once you've received your quote, you'll need to find out if a building permit is required. Once that's squared away, you can choose your payment option and discuss either onsite construction or delivery timeframe.
Be sure to check with your local municipality, county, or city business officials about permit expectations in your area. Most buildings require permits, especially for residents in a town or city where there are often restrictions on size, color, or placement of a building. When applying for a permit, you will need to know the building specifications, such as style, size, color and placement.
Laying the foundation of your shed is the last step before delivery. Make sure your site to be perfectly level. An unleveled foundation will cause the frame of the shed to twist and make opening of doors and windows difficult. Click here to see a diagram with instructions.
Step 4: Personalize the space.
Now comes the fun part... turning the shed into a fun playhouse for your child(ren). Here are some ideas for personalizing the space, making it practical and creative.
- A playhouse should provide a place where children can be loud, silly, and where a mess is OK.
- Stock the playhouse with lots of age-appropriate toys.
- If the child likes art, dedicate a portion of the playhouse to arts & crafts by placing a size-appropriate table on one end with nearby shelves stocked with art supplies.
- For older children, bring in a desk for a convenient homework station.
- Paint the walls to add character and personality.
- Add a trashcan with a lid, some lights (floor lamps and white Christmas lights make great additional light sources), indoor/outdoor rugs, and personalized decor. You may even want to add a shoe bin or shoe tray near the entrance so that the kiddos don't track mud into the playhouse.
What can you do with the shed after your child has outgrown it?
It's your turn to repurpose the space! There are so many ways you could use it. Here are a few examples:
- Seasonal Decor Storage
- Lawn Equipment Storage
- ATV Storage
- Dirt Bike / Motorcycle Storage
- Boat Storage
- Bicycle Storage
- Snowmobile Storage
- Man Cave
- She Shed
- Chicken Coop
- Dog House
- Winter Workshop
- Gift-Wrapping Work Station
- Pool House
- Garden Shed
So, what are you waiting for? Surprise your kiddo with a great playhouse this summer. It will be a place for joy, laughter, and happiness for many years to come!