Every Hobbyist Needs a Workshop Shed
by Dakota Storage Buildings, on February 20, 2018
These four home workshop must-haves should inspire you to look at our Workshop Package and build a workshop shed envied by all.
Perhaps you want a workshop to fix things, complete projects, or work on hobbies like model cars, motorcycle repair, woodworking, art, or candle making. Having an area with a workbench, room to spread out, and no cleanup requirements makes this package the ideal workshop shed.
Already have a backyard shed? Don't struggle with converting your much-needed equipment shed into a workshop, (Where else are you going to store your mower, rakes, and shovels?) when you can buy a shed that's already everything you need.
Once you have your ideal shed or garage workshop space, you'll need a few items to complete it. From lighting to workbenches and storage options, discover four must-haves for any home workshop.
Discover four workshop must-haves.
#1 - Your workshop shed needs adequate lighting
Providing adequate light should rank as a top priority. Insufficient light and glare—common workshop problems—hinders vision, causes eyestrain, cripples precision, and creates safety hazards. Decent lighting usually entails a happy mix of both natural and artificial light.
The more windows your workshop has, the more natural light can pour inside. Doors with windows, roof dormers, and wall windows are all great ways to let in the light. And the more natural light, the better you'll be off because natural light benefits vision, leads to higher productivity, and supplies the body with vitamin D.
Our Workshop Package comes with the option of two or four 24"x27" windows, perfect for letting in natural light. Windows not only provide light, but they allow in fresh air which is great for ventilation, clearing your mind, busting stress, increasing happiness, and boosting your immune system while tinkering away in your workshop building.
Natural light is best, but realistically, it's not enough. On a sunny day it's great, but at night or on overcast days, it just doesn't cut it. So, having electricity along with artificial lighting in your workshop is necessary.
Types of artificial lighting vary. Here are a few options highlighted by diynetwork.com.
- Fluorescent overhead fixtures. Fluorescent overhead fixtures are generally a good choice for overhead lighting. Fluorescent fixtures are inexpensive, easy to install, energy efficient, and effective in lighting an entire workshop building.
- Track lighting. Track lighting is another good choice for overhead lighting. An advantage with track lights is that individual lights can be redirected into different areas of a workshop as needed.
- Portable floodlights. Portable floodlights are handy for specific jobs. Directional, height-adjustable and very bright, they're perfect for putting plenty of light in awkward or out-of-the-way places.
Here are a few more indoor lighting ideas for you home workshop—some are more powerful and more complicated to install than others.
#2 - Your workshop shed needs sufficient ventilation
Most building codes require ventilation—even sheds, garages, and workshops. Proper workshop ventilation removes unpleasant smells, excessive heat, smoke, fumes, excessive moisture, and dust build-up by continuously replacing the interior air with fresh air from the outside.
Even in a moderate climate, incorrect ventilation can lead to structural deficiencies and deterioration of key building components. Plus, heat always travels to the top of a building, and if it can escape through a ridge vent, it may protect the shingles in really hot weather. All Dakota Storage Buildings include vents to promote sufficient ventilation. Placement of the vents varies, but most are installed in the gables.
#3 - Your workshop shed needs plenty of storage and tabletop work space
Workshops are perfect for hobbies—but they're also quick to collect clutter. The problem often lies in figuring out the best ways to organize the space inside to maximize efficiency and convenience. Here are a few organizational options to consider adding to your outdoor escape.
- Workbench. A workbench should have a thick top and stout legs, plenty of surface space, and should be compatible with your height. The ideal workbench height should be the distance from the floor to your first thumb knuckle, with your arms hanging relaxed at your sides. Our Workshop Package takes workbench selection out of the equation because it comes with a built-in workbench for optimal tabletop workspace.
- Loft. Having out-of-the-way storage space can be helpful in storing items that shouldn't be thrown away, but are not used frequently. Our Workshop Package comes with a custom, built-in loft for off-the-ground storage.
- VersaCaddy Kit. The VersaCaddy is a complete and versatile storage system specifically designed to utilize the vertical space between 16" on center studs—maximizing the storage space inside sheds and garages. Each component is made of durable materials that can withstand heat, cold, and corrosion. The VersaCaddy kit is part of our Workshop Package.
- Shelves. You can hang a DIY shelving system bought from your local home improvement store, build your own shelves, or you can buy a shed that has a built-in workbench that can also function as a shelf—like our Workshop Package.
#4 - Your workshop shed needs...Tools
Tools can be hobby-specific. However, there are a few home workshop tools that are useful and practical regardless of hobby preference. Here are our top five choices.
- Duct tape. Not only is duct tape a home staple; it's a hobby workshop staple! While it's rarely used for its intended purpose these days, it's ideal for almost any project, and it can be purchased in a variety of colors and widths.
- Hammer. Every workshop needs at least one hammer. Even for the most serious hobbyist or professional woodworker, there are many useful options. Here are few tips that will help you choose the right hammer for your workshop.
- Pliers. Without this handy tool, you'd have a hard time gripping, turning, or twisting things. While there are a number of variations—ranging from long-nose pliers to expandable pump pliers—the most commonly used is the slip-joint pliers.
- Screwdrivers. Every workshop needs two screwdrivers: a Phillips-head and a flathead. While these shapes work with most screws, the size often varies—there’s no one-size-fits-all option. So keep your own needs and uses in mind while settling on your go-to screwdrivers.
- Multi-tool utility knife. A utility knife is one tool a well-stocked workshop should never be without. Even better than a simple utility knife is a multi-tool utility device. The Leatherman Sidekick, for instance, has spring-action pliers, two knife blades, openers, pliers, and more. It's the mother of all utility knives.
Our Workshop Package combined with our top four home workshop must-haves will give you a hobby workshop shed envied by all. Ready to learn more about our Workshop Package? We think you'll love it!
Explore our package details and features.
This space is perfect for tackling handyman projects or developing a space-consuming hobby. It has windows for natural light, a built-in workbench for projects, a loft for out-of-the-way storage, high-grade flooring, and comes with a valuable wall storage kit.
Workshop Shed Package Standard Features
These features enhance the use and functionality of our Workshop Shed Package. Learn a little about each.
- Built-in Loft. This package can come with one or two lofts for extra, out-of-the-way storage space and more organizational opportunities.
- Built-in Workbench. A built-in workbench offers a sturdy table-top workspace. Use it to work on projects or as a shelf to organize small items.
- Windows. Choose between two or four 24x27 windows, perfect for letting in natural light.
- Ramp. Having a sturdy ramp makes moving things—wheelbarrows, motorcycles, and anything else with wheels—in and out of the workshop easy and efficient.
- VersaCaddy Storage Kit. The VersaCaddy kit is a complete and versatile storage system specifically designed to utilize the vertical space between 16” on center studs.
- LP ProStruct Roof Sheathing With SilverTech. LP ProStruct Roof Sheathing With SilverTech features a durable radiant barrier that helps keep your shed or other outdoor structure cooler in the summer heat. And with its highly reflective, professional-grade appearance, it helps brighten the inside of your shed for enhanced visibility.
- LP ProStruct Flooring With SmartFinish. LP ProStruct Flooring With SmartFinish is a durable overlay which creates a clean and beautiful appearance. This flooring resists termite damage, decay, warping, splitting, and cracking. Don't worry about tracking in mud or if water gets on the floor—you can trust that this high-grade flooring won't be damaged.
Workshop Shed Package Size, Roofline & Siding
With all of the above features chosen for you (doesn't this make finding the right workshop shed so much easier?!), all you need to do is choose—
- Size: 10'x12', 10'x20', or 12'x24'
- Roofline: Classic Gable Roofline or High Barn Roofline
- Siding: LP SmartSide Wood Lap Siding or Long Creek Tuff-Rib Steel Siding
That's it! Buying a Workshop Package from Dakota Storage Buildings is really that easy.