Things To Consider When Buying A Shed
by Dakota Storage Buildings, on March 03, 2016
Are you hoping to buy a shed sometime soon? From style and size to siding and roofing, there’s a lot to consider.
Because we know sheds and have been selling them for years, we compiled a list of important things to think about when shed shopping. We also included information about our products so that you can learn more them and become better equipped to make an educated decision.
Consider these choices when shopping:
- Style: What purpose will this shed serve?
- Size: What size would be best?
- Type: What type of siding do you prefer?
- Features: What features are important to you -- insulation or a particular type of roofing?
- Accessories: Do you want to add accessories to your shed? Perhaps a porch or flower boxes.
- Payment: What is your preferred method of payment and is it an option?
- Installation: Do you want to have your shed built on site or delivered?
Continue reading to learn more about our shed styles, sizes, types, features, accessories, payment and installation options.
Styles: We offer 3 styles of sheds: Ranch, High Barn, and Low Barn.
- Ranch Style: Ranch style storages buildings are A-frame sheds with the primary door located on the side.
- High Barn & Low Barn Styles: These styles combine traditional styling with generous overhead storage space. The roof has two slopes on each side of the ridge with a steeper, lower slope, providing extra headroom.
Sizes: Below is a chart of size options. All of our styles can be made in these dimensions.
|8 Foot Options
|10 Foot Options
|12 Foot Options
|14 Foot Options
|16 Foot Options
Types: Shed siding comes in a range of materials, so deciding which one is right for you can be a tough decision. Your choice may depend on your budget, the look you want, or the amount of time you’re willing to put into maintenance.
- Painted: LP® SmartSide® Panel Siding offers all the warmth and beauty of traditional wood siding, along with the advantages of our treated wood technology. These siding panels are more durable, dimensionally stable and consistent than traditional wood materials.
- Lap: We offer a variety of LP® SmartSide® Siding options made with specially engineered wood. Resilient and long-lasting, this siding can withstand major weather events as well as pest invasion. You can choose the perfect color to compliment any outdoor space.
- Vinyl: Vinyl siding is often chosen because it’s low maintenance and weather resistant. It does not need to be painted but requires annual cleaning with mild soap and water. This siding option is not susceptible to problems associated with rotting, cracking or insect damage. While vinyl siding shouldn't chip, if damage does occur, repairs can be costly.
- Metal: The Tuff-Rib corrugated panel is the most commonly used metal siding in the residential and agriculture market today. We offer Tuff-Rib because it’s dependable, long-lasting, and economical. Many of the colors offered are Energy Star approved for great energy efficiency.
Features: We have top-of-the-line sheds with high-quality features that won’t cost you a bundle.
- Roofing: Choose either our top-of-the-line TruDefinition® Duration® Shingles or our Long Creek Steel’s steel roofing. Both will protect your investment. TruDefinition® Duration® Shingles utilize SureNail® Technology which is durable even up to 130 MPH winds. Long Creek Steel’s high-quality steel roofing is engineered to provide superior protection and has a wide variety of paneling and color options.
- Flooring: Our T&G High-Performance OSB Flooring is engineered to resist large amounts of moisture. If the flooring gets wet, it will not warp. Instead it will remain level and flat.
- Skids and Joists: Pressure treated wood skids and floor joists are standard features on all of our buildings. These pressure treated elements are are protected against moisture, rotting, and in some cases, insects.
Accessories: We also have great add-ons. Below are 4 additional features that will add both beauty and utility to your shed or garage.
- Porches: Our 4 ft. porch can complete the overall aesthetic of any of our outside storage buildings. Porches provide the perfect space to dry off or stow dirty boots.
- Flower Boxes: Flower boxes add character and personality to your storage building. To make your flower box functional, use it to grow useful herbs or chrysanthemums (known for repelling roaches, ants, Japanese beetles, ticks, silverfish, and fleas).
- Shelves and Lofts: We can add 2-4 ft. deep shelves and 2-8 ft. deep lofts to your building for increased storage space. It’s an easy way to get the extra storage space you need without ordering a bigger building size. If you’re looking for a built-in workbench, our shelves are ideal. Lofts can be larger.
- Insulation: We use high-quality spray foam to insulate an outdoor storage building. Its 2-3 inch thickness creates a watertight membrane of protection against the heat and cold and it’s expansive nature works to fill every crack and crevices.
Payment and Installation: Now you’re down to your final two decisions: do you want your shed built on site or delivered AND how do you want to pay for your new shed?
- Payment Options: Payment options include buying outright, financing, and renting to own (not available in Minnesota).
- Build On Site or Delivery: All of the Dakota Storage buildings can be built on-site or delivered to your property. When you choose on-site building, we prefabricate the building in our factory, transport the sections to your property, and complete the project on site. When you choose delivery, we partner with Dakota Shed Haulers to provide you with a safe and efficient shed delivery experience.
Next Step: Contact our team of experts to learn more about our shed options or start now by requesting a quote after customizing your own shed step-by-step on our website.
Or download The Ultimate Storage Building Buying Guide.