Storage Ideas & Shed Options For Small Backyards
by Dakota Storage Buildings, on June 27, 2017
If you need outdoor storage, but your backyard seems too small for a shed, there are creative options to consider.
If you have —
- A small grill
- Gardening tools
- A ladder
- A hose
- Potting soil
- Flower pots
- Sports equipment
- Camping gear
- Reel Self-propelled lawn mover
- Patio cushions
- A bicycle
You can —
- Combine seating and storage. Buy a storage bench that can double as outdoor seating.
- Utilize the space on your fence. Use hooks to hang items that won't be damaged by weather.
- Mount weather-resistant shelving onto the side of your house/building or on your fence.
- Double the purpose of your table. If you don't already have a coffee table, patio table, or side table, find one that can also function as a storage system.
- Find a weather-proof multi-purpose storage cabinet. If necessary, add shelves or drawers to make it even more practical.
- Repurpose wood pallets. It's all the craze right now. A quick Google search will reveal a ton of creative options.
- Try a plastic storage container like this one by Rubbermaid.
These are some outdoor storage ideas for small spaces, but don't rule out a full-sized shed altogether. Here are 2 reasons why:
- Sheds come in smaller sizes than you may think — including 8'x10' and 8'x12'.
- Sheds can be built on-site; they don't have to be hauled into a small backyard or through a narrow side yard for delivery.
Here's some good news — we offer both! We have 8'x10' and 8'x12' high-quality sheds that can be built in your backyard.
So, if you're not into DIY backyard projects or creative storage solutions and you'd prefer a durable 8-foot-tall shed in your small backyard, you can get one of our 8'x10' shed options — Ranch, Deluxe, High Barn and Low Barn — built on your property.
And if you live in nearby Minneapolis or Saint Paul, our small sheds are perfect for your city-living lifestyle.
Whether you live downtown or in a beautiful city neighborhood, chances are your backyard is small, but your life is full. While there are many creative ways to mount your bicycle and kayak to a wall or ceiling, why not take advantage of a traditional storage method? Our sheds are simple, dependable, and customizable. Our compact 8'x10' Ranch style sheds can easily store bicycles, tiki torches, fire pits, gardening equipment, and other outdoor recreational equipment.
Even if your backyard is a fair size, but your side yard is narrow, our on-site building option can still work for you. Bringing in building materials requires much less space and accessibility than delivering a fully-assembled shed.
And don’t let the cost deter you. Our sheds are made with durable, high-quality materials, but they are also affordable. Because we sell our products factory-direct, your cost stays low and the buying process remains uncomplicated. Anyone can afford our sheds!
If you have a small yard, an active lifestyle, and all the equipment to go with it, there’s no excuse for not having the shed you want.
Design your own small shed
Think about it for a moment. What would your ideal shed look like? What features or add-ons would be helpful? Would a single door or a double door be better? Perhaps two windows instead of one. Design your own shed from top to bottom, then find out how much your ideal shed will cost.
As you work through your shed's design, you'll have the opportunity to:
- Choose your building size and style
- Pick your siding and roof type
- Select colors
- Opt for add-ons and upgrades
Are you ready? Complete this form to get started.